Friday, January 28, 2011

Brew Update, Immersion Chiller

Brew post.

On my brew days, a critical step involves cooling several gallons of boiling liquid down to 70ish degrees Fahrenheit as fast as possible. A large mass of hotness, however, doesn't exactly go anywhere in a hurry. To move the process along, I slapped together an immersion chiller. It's basically copper tubing that I immerse in the liquid while cold water runs through it; a pretty common cooling method for homebrewers.


Yeah, I know, my workmanship is fucking hideous. Initially, I lazily used compression fittings for the input/output, but I'm never relying on those again since the input sprung a leak after the second use. I ended up sweating new fittings on (although I left the compression on the output for now). Ugly as hell, but works like a dream.

Drinking: Nothing of mine, but "researching" store-bought micros
Bottling conditioning: American pale ale, American amber
Fermenting: Robust porter, American brown ale
Planning: American wheat, India pale ale

1 comment:

Thechairman said...

Keep it going dude, sounds like you're gonna become your own little microbrew soon.