Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Naga Jolokia

Nick and Emily visited last weekend for New Year's and needless to say, it was a blastasaurus. While it mostly involved consuming more bourbon and food than necessary, at one point we found ourselves at the local brew and garden store and were gifted some freshly picked "ghost chili" peppers, aka Naga Jolokia. These things are insane. You may or may not have heard of them, but up until just a couple weeks ago, the ghost chili was recognized as the hottest chili pepper in the world (its throne was relinquished to some sort of hybrid of itself).


A large specimen. I had another one about the size of a raspberry which I experimented with. I chewed on a slice from the middle of it, roughly the size/thickness of a penny, and in about 30 seconds my mouth went from: tastes good > tingly > numb > hot > magma > gone.


I decided to make a batch of chili with the rest of the one I cut into. A ghost chili chili? The tiny pepper was thrown into a gallon or so of stuff, but it still gave the batch a kick. A kind of a pleasant and smooth kick, whatever that means. Anyway, good winter food.

No comments: