Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Hike and Hogback

Throwing together a solo overnighter in the Manistee National Forest, a forest I've hiked in many times. I was there earlier this season (here, there) but this time I'll be more inland, near the Manistee River. I used to go there a lot when I lived in Michigan, which was about seven years ago. I was looking through some old shit for a photo of the trail when I found some older shit from at least nine years ago which I scanned:


35mm of Mike and me on one of the various "peaks" at Hogback Mountain, near Marquette, MI. I'm pretty sure Chuck took the photo. Hogback isn't terribly tall, but it's steep, it's the only tall thing out there, and you get a near 360 degree view. I remember the night was nice so I chose to sleep without a tent on a relatively large flat area on a peak. I woke up a couple hours later to find that I had rotated and rolled 30-40 feet towards the edge of a large cliff, now only about 10 feet away. Now that would've been unfortunate.

No comments: