Sunday, April 10, 2011

Victuals

Yesterday was Cathy's birthday, and as usual, we splurged on a nice dinner - this time at a place called L2O, which I guess is relatively famous around here. As expected, everything was excellent, although I always feel out of my element at fine dining establishments. I'm much more at home walking into a pub, grabbing a strong ale, and ordering food off a laminated menu. But whatever, it was all very delicious and fun, and of course, I couldn't resist taking photos of the food to memorialize the occasion. Here are a couple of the courses:


We elected to do a tasting menu which had about 10 courses, with the first big one being this: oscietra caviar, kindai toro, shiso salt. Plated to look like a fish comet.


King prawn, coconut, green tomato, uni, jicama slaw, jalapeƱo emulsion and some other tasty crap I don't remember.


Maine lobster, foie gras, black trumpet marmalade, some micro-chives, and a sauce I'd be willing to pound a pint of. I'm a bit conflicted about foie gras. I find it delicious but the process behind it is...troubling. Because of that, I never actually order it but I'll eat it up if it's set before me.


Lime-cucumber sorbet. It wasn't really part of the menu so I think it was generally intended to be a palate cleanser. Good stuff either way.

Yommy.

1 comment:

California Pug Life said...

Love the first shot of the caviar--white space!