Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Past Pictures

Through my off and on years of dabbling in photography, I'm still convinced that one doesn't really need a "nice" camera to take good pictures. This is something that every photographer I know has told me ever since I picked up my first 35mm. Most of the time it doesn't matter much whether you have a $100 p&s camera or a $3,000 dSLR setup.

I have an old point & shoot Pentax camera. It's waterproof and dustproof, and so whenever I do anything outdoors, it's strapped to me. Despite being a relatively cheap point & shoot, 4+ years old, left out in sub-zero temperatures, dropped in rivers, dropped on concrete, lost on sandy beaches, and fetched by Quentin, it still takes great pictures.

Anyway, I started occasionally kayaking about 4 years ago. I would take a random weekend, drive somewhere, and paddle down a river or around a lake for a day or two. I'd pretty much spend the better part of 3 days not speaking a word to anyone, and just exercise and meditate. It's a lot more fun than it sounds.

Two of my favorite photos, taken with that p&s:


Found these two lonely (dead?) trees in the middle of the lake.


Paddling back to shore, I turned around for a minute to look at the lake.

No comments: