Saturday, November 14, 2009

Honeymoon Summary, Part 4

Bali! When Cathy and I arrived in Bali we finally felt like we were on our honeymoon. Although we were having an amazing time in Korea, it was nice to finally be by ourselves.


We stayed at the Conrad Suites. The room was ridiculous - dining room, living room, master bedroom, bathroom, vanity area, balcony, wall-to-wall windows, juicer, espresso machine, flat screen tv in the bathroom, and more nonsense. They asked what our preferred pillow type and firmness was, what aromatherapy oils housekeeping should burn, and which freshly squeezed juices should be stocked daily in our fridge. Honestly, it was all plain silly to me but hey, it was our honeymoon so whatever.


We were doing this honeymoon package thing and so lots of meals, events, and tours were already planned out for us. We explored cultural areas, visited random villages, went rafting down the Ayung River, hung out with some monkeys, found some green starfish, had candlelit beachside dinners, shared forestside lunches, got weird massages which I never want to experience again, and a whole slew of other stuff.


A rocky pier, the Indian Ocean, and my lovely wife.


Although we ate some Indonesian food (which is somewhat similar to Chinese food), our package provided a lot of Westernized meals. It was a welcome change from all the Asian food I had been eating, although I did feel a bit guilty about it. I mean you don't go to Bali to eat croissants for breakfast but I just couldn't help myself.


The purple rock crab, Leptograpsus variegatus. These guys would hang out on rocky outcroppings and scurry into various nooks and crannies whenever anyone of apparent authority got too close. Kind of like me when I was in high school.


The Crab-eating macaque, Macaca fascicularis. I never saw one eating a purple rock crab but I did see one try to steal some guy's wallet. I saw another licking a wall. I also saw a group of them bum rush a lady holding a banana. Standard monkey behavior.


We visited a couple street markets which had lots of amazing piles for sale. Piles of baskets, piles of artwork, piles of clothes, piles of jewelry, piles of piles on top of other piles. It was all reminiscent of other Asian and Mexican street markets I've been to, complete with the preposterous bartering. For example, after one counteroffer for some bamboo basket, one merchant went from $200 to $10. Preposterous.


Indonesia's best selling brew. I knew this was Bintang Beer because, well, it said so on the bottle.

Back to South Korea in the next, and probably final, honeymoon post.

2 comments:

Eucalyptusgal said...

You should have told him to stop monkeying around!!! hahaha.

Love that picture of you too. Did you ask somebody else to take it??

albot said...

I balanced my camera on a random statue, set the exposure, set the timer, ran back to Cathy for a posed kiss, and then retrieved my camera. So romantic.