Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Birds, Brews, and Shrooms

As always, visiting my parents was a good time. Notable events? I witnessed two juvenile Mourning Doves fledge. Split a six pack of homebrew with my dad. And was shown an interesting little thing in the yard:

Morel? Maybe, but I'm not touching it. I mean, I'm an adventurous and fungi, morel less, but the thought of just picking/eating this kinda scares the shiitake out of me. I just don't know how to accurately identify these things, and there's really not mushroom for error. Hey-oohhh.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i'm pretty sure thats a golden morel.

false morels look different, and will only make you sick, generally won't kill you if you eat them.

i'm no expert tho, but i have picked and eaten morels before.

eric

Anonymous said...

I drooled over it for a week. Then mom sent me

http://www.mlive.com/health/index.ssf/2011/05/poison_control_center_issues_m.html

It's twice as big as you saw it, but it is broken at the root level. I also think it is the real thing. To eat or not to eat....

dad