Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Knife History

A long time ago when I started cooking a lot, I got myself a couple Shun Classic knives without testing them out first. They eventually got lost or stolen (I suspect the latter) and since then I haven't bought new ones due to some subjective gripes.

First, they are hand biased. I had to special order left-handed versions. Second, the balance on most of their knives didn't feel right to me. Third, a tad overpriced.

I was recently gifted a 7" Wüsthof Classic Ikon santoku. I'm no pro, but after using it just a couple times, I'm sold.  The handle and balance feels solid and natural (at least in my hand), and it is relatively economical. Any other knives I need will probably be from them.


Santokus have a less aggressive blade curve than a chef's knife. While this means chopping with a rocking motion is more difficult, it also means it has a relatively longer cutting edge.  This reduces overall blade length, making it lighter and easier to wield (which is good for Cathy).


The indentations on hollow-edge blades are supposed to reduce drag when cutting and help prevent food from sticking onto the blade. I honestly don't see much of a practical difference though.


The cutting board here was a gift from Cathy, and I love it so much I haven't even cut on it yet. It's handmade from a section of a fallen, naturally spaulted Maple tree and has the original bark on the edges. Killer.

2 comments:

Eucalyptusgal said...

The Wuhstoff knives are incredible. I have the standard one at home, but want the whole set. I love sharpening them!! Does that make me weird?

albot said...

Not at all. In fact, I mutter to myself while sharpening knives. Wait, maybe that makes ME weird.

Yeah, I need a couple other knife lengths to round out my prep tools - and they'll undoubtedly be from them.