Saturday, July 12, 2008

Slackpacker or Powerhiker?

Due to my hiking trip, this post is about it.

I know people who are either dedicated slackpackers or powerhikers. Personally, I'm not allergic to low speeds, nor am I addicted to high speeds. One would assume the scenery or attractions are in the area would dictate my manner of hiking, but I don't think that's the whole story. It is my mood that determines how I move, whether I'm hiking, walking, biking, climbing, working, or just standing.

The conventional wisdom is to never hike alone. I'm well aware of the risk, and have actually been in a couple situations where I wished I had someone to help (e.g., charging caribou, partial paralysis from hornet swarm attack, snake bite, etc.). However, I enjoy hiking alone because I believe it is the only way to truly experience and appreciate the outdoors. Then there is the added bonus of me being able to decide my pace or route without having to consult someone else. It's nice during the times when I inexplicably wander off or voluntarily change course to explore an area.

While I'm in the city, I have a schedule. Sometimes I just like to pretend that there's no such thing as either.

Random photos:


Old Pentax photo of ceiling lamps.


I visited my Mom in Michigan during this past July 4th weekend. I did not get an opportunity to photograph fireworks (which is fun), but I had some time to walk around a garden at a local school. Although the garden was extensive, most insects seemed to prefer a specific patch of daisies. Here is one of the "insects on daisies" photos I'll be posting more of. I believe it's a drone fly, which resembles a honey bee. They are harmless, and spend most of their adult life pollinating flowers.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

truth.

have a good hike, good luck with the gear. i pack my canon in a chest pack, but it makes me look like an asshole. what are you doing?

also, sweet fly photo. good get. looking forward to the others.